Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Medicine Storage & Organization

Does your medicine cabinet look like this? Are you constantly having trouble finding that one medicine that you need?

Photo Credit: 5andahighchair.blogspot.com

There have been many times that I have searched the whole bathroom for some acetaminophen. And I can't tell you how many times I've had a panic looking for a medicine syringe to give Ian some medicine to calm the fever and pain associated with teething. After lots of searching and playing around with what best suits our family, I came up with this!

These are Sterilite containers from Target. I just printed out the text and taped it to the drawers with a little clear bandage tape. The one on the left is a lot bigger than the one on the right. The drawers are sorted into categories based on symptoms and body systems. Being a nurse, I found this project to be super fun!

Here's a little run down! 

Prescription/Vitamins: This, of course, is for medicines you received from your doctor and vitamins. For example: my husbands blood pressure medicine, anxiety medicine, depression medicine, etc. prenatal vitamins, fish oil, multivitamins, etc. 

Allergy/Cold & Flu: This is for things such as Benadryl, Mucinex, Vaporub, Chloraseptic, Zyrtec, various cold and flu medications, etc. 

Digestive: This is for things such as Pepto Bismol, laxatives, Imodium, Gas-X, Tums, stool softeners, dietary supplements, Pepcid, etc.

Topical: This is for things such as Neosporin, Benadryl Itch Stick, Triamcinolone Cream, Mupirocin Cream, etc. 

EENT: This stands for eyes, ears, nose, and throat. This is for things such as Visine, ear drops, Orajel, cough drops, etc.

Fever Reducer/Pain Reliever: This is for things such as acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Motrin) , naproxen (Aleve), aspirin, Midol, etc. I also put my nighttime sleep aid in this drawer. 

And let's not forget the first aid box!


This little box has everything in it, and I do mean everything. This is where I keep Ian's fever medicine so that I can get to it, the thermometer, the cooling strips, and the medicine syringe quickly. This box includes: blood pressure cuff, thermometer, otoscope, medicine syringes, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide (we are out), medicine cups, steri-strips, Band-Aids, medicated bandages, gauze, and much more underneath it all! I still have things like iodine, syringes with needles, and medical goggles from my kit in nursing school. I even have an unopened sterile catheter kit. Who knows? I may need all that one day. Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment