Friday, September 13, 2013

Homemade Snow Globes!

Recently, I've been searching for crafts and little projects that my toddler could help me with and enjoy. I just tested this one out. It worked great, so I thought I would share it with you!


Supplies:
  • A jar with a tight lid. I used an old jelly jar from some of my grandpa's homemade peach preserves. But an old pickle or olive jar will work just fine! Even a plastic jar would work if it has a good enough seal. 
  • A small plastic figurine. I used a Spiderman action figure- since superheros are in right now, and Ian is obsessed with them. 
  • Glitter. A single color or several colors. Whatever you choose!
  • Super glue. I used the up&up Target brand. 
  • Water. Nothing fancy, just tap water!

Make sure the jar and lid is clean and dry. The lid needs to be especially dry so that the figurine adheres well. 


Super glue the figurine to the inside of the lid. It helps if the figurine has a flat base. Roughing the bottom with a little sandpaper may be necessary if it has problems adhering. Let this dry fully. I let mine sit for 30 minutes.


While it was drying, I added glitter to the jar. I chose 3 different colors. There is a happy medium with glitter. Too little and it won't be visible. But too much and it takes away from the subject in the jar. So I always use a little less. 


At this time, you can add water and shake to test the visibility of the glitter. I have many of these jars, so I was able to use another lid for the test. If you don't have another lid, add some water, and stir with a spoon to test. The picture isn't great, but theres quite a bit of glitter. So I'm happy with it. 

I didn't take a picture of the next step, but what you do is make sure that the jar is mostly full of water and glitter. If the figurine on the lid is dry, slowly add it into the jar. If it starts to overflow, scoop out some of the water and try again. You don't want the jar so full that you can't shake it, so I left a small rim of air at the top. 

Add a little of the super glue to the edge of the jar and the inside groove of the lid. This will keep little ones from being able to unscrew the jar. 


And voila! You just made a snow globe!

No comments:

Post a Comment